Montessori within me

“Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed. - Maria Montessori.
Think of a child born in a family: The event brings a lot of joy and happiness. Just as the child depends on the mother, the mother depends on the child. For a parent,witnessing their child grow each day and achieve each milestone brings satisfaction and peace of mind. It’s the same when a Montessori teacher sits back and observes the children in her environment achieving milestones: working on materials on their own, preparing food for their classmates, or independently dealing with problemsIt gives the teacher a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.        
I remember when I joined the Montessori school. I had no idea what I was doing or how I was going to do it because teaching was not my cup of teaAeach day passed, however, I realized I was enjoying the experience, and tried to incorporate the Montessori philosophy into every day. I began to realize I was meant for this environment. Every time I enter my school, I’m filled with peace and happiness. Toddlers who can’t say my name depend on me to hold and nurture them. I’m the familiar face that helps them feel safe when they arrive. 
I was born and raised in a traditional and protective environment. Independence wasn’t encouraged, and decisions were made by adults. I’m not being critical; it was the culture. Coming from that environment and working in the Montessori environment was different and new for me. Montessori teaches everyone: children, teenagers, and adults. It helps you as a person and changes your perspective of how you see the world and others. Montessori not only teaches us or our children, it helps shape our personalities. 
Every morning, in the Montessori environment, when a teacher steps into the classroom, she considers how she can make the day productive. Being a Montessorian, I believe that a teacher not only teaches a child, but she also teaches herselftoo. The environment and the materials teach the child. Montessori brings grace and discipline to my life. It has touched my soul, and as I write this blog, realizing this brings tears to my eyes.
I still remember when I was doing my training two years ago. I was nervous and stressed out because of the number of assignments we got every day. But regardless of all the assignments and long hours, I was happy and satisfied. Walking into the Montessori training building, every day, I felt I was carrying Montessori within me. We started our day with mindfulness, which helped us reflect on ourselves, nature, and the universe. The Montessori philosophy and the universe work parallel to one other
That’s why, when you enter a Montessori environment, you can evaluate yourself as an individual. The open environment, with natural light and indoor plants, helpchildren practice mindfulness. It increases concentration and focus. Montessori plays an important role in building sense of order and repetition, which helps children in all aspects of learning, including sizing, writing, reading, and establishing a routine.
I’ve worked in a Montessori setting for almost four years and I’m still learning every day. When I go home and sit on the couch next to the patio, I reflect on my day. A day doesn’t go by where I can say I haven’t learned something. Each new day brings new knowledge. I try to live my life according to Maria Montessori’s vision. Though I feel like I'm not there yet, I begin again with mindfulness and remember my first day of school. That memory gives me the motivation and strength to look forward.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Practical life

Transition (The New Normal)