Transition (The New Normal)

Let’s think about the child in the mother’s womb. The child depends on the mother for nutrition and a safe place to develop. When the child leaves the womb and enters the world, that’s the child’s first transition. This is when the child sees everyone and feels their touch. 
As the child adjusts to the new environment, the next transition occurs when solid food is introduced. Sitting, crawling, standing, and walking independently all follow. Moving forward, the child then transitions from the home environment to the school environment, and that’s where the challenge comes.
A door opens, and here we go. A new toddler steps into the classroom along with his mother. They both are anxious and nervous about his first day at school. Mom explained everything about his routine to me during orientation. However, she is still anxious to see her toddler going to school for the first time. 
I feel the child’s nervousness. He looks at me uncertainly as mom hands him over to me, and he starts to cry. I try to calm him down, but nothing works. As the day goes by, he sits on the couch holding a cushion in one hand and a picture of his family on the other hand. The next day is better than the day before. He smiles when we do circle time. As the day continues, he knows the routine and schedule.He knows what comes after. The transition helps the child in a way that he knows the routine. 
Parents ask me how I can help their child with this kind of transition. I often say,“Don't feel guilty about sending your child to school. Let the child adjust to the environment at their own pace. The child will normalize as they become familiar with the routine. It's hard for toddlers to understand change. Any sort of change can throw them off. Whether it's a picture day or a valentines party, they cannot adjust. You have to prepare the child for what comes next. 
The repetition in routine helps them to master learning order. They feel comfortable when there is some sort of repetition. Routine guides them toward what comes next, what the order is, how it will begin, and what to expect. Eventually, they will manage on their own. Toddlers don't know the time, but they do know the time frame. I have seen the excitement on my students faces during circle time. They know after circle time they will go out to play with their friends on the playground.
We are living in world where everyone is running around chasing one another. It is not a bad thing, but not a good thing either. I see myself hopping from one place to another and then suddenly this pandemic occurs. I think of it as an opportunity for me to pause for a little while and think about my surroundings and how these things are impacting me, my family, my friends, and my community. It's important for children to relax and spend time with their families. But, on the other hand, it’s messing up their routine and their transition from home to school. We must teach them to understand what's going on in their environment and how we are adjusting to this new normal. 
I have seen a lot of parents who are exhausted due to work, the pandemic, and having their children home. I can understand that, but we have to accept this. Parents ask me how to explain the situation to their children. I tell them not to make a big deal in front of them. If parents panic, children will absorb what they see. I advise parents to take a deep breath and instead of thinking of this as a “new rule,” consider it a practical life activity. For instance, parents can describe the process of hand washing by saying, “We will make bubbles todayDo you want to make bubbles? Come, let me show you.” Parents can also include their children in doing the chores by saying, “We will wipe the door handles today. Mommy will sanitize the handle and you will wipe it. Do you want to help mommy?
For a lot of parents, it's hard to accept this situation, but we can't stop living our lives. I recommend taking virtual tours of your school and asking the administration what norms they are following. I must say, my school (Casa Dei Bambini 
Montessori) is doing a really good job keeping the staff and children safe at all times. We are disinfecting the shoes at the door, maintaining social distancing, taking temperatures, and sanitizing the materials after every use. Make sure you are satisfied with the new norms at your school. I hope we can get back to our normal lives, but, if not, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practical life

Montessori within me

Environment and surrounding